S&V 2005 Entertainment Awards
Top 10 CDs of 2005
- The White Stripes Get Behind Me Satan (Third Man/V2) Fleetwood Mac's Tusk meets ... Jack and Meg!
- Porcupine Tree Deadwing (Lava/Atlantic) Standard-bearers of the new progressive rock.
- Kanye West Late Registration (Roc-A-Fella) Rapper King floats and stings.
- Trey Anastasio Shine (Columbia) A personal high in the studio.
- Beck Guero (Interscope) Dig the lo-fi brouhaha!
- The Rolling Stones A Bigger Bang (Virgin) "Dead men" come out rocking.
- Bruce Springsteen Devils & Dust (Columbia) A spellbinding set of deep, detailed narratives.
- Sufjan Stevens Illinois (Asthmatic Kitty) Brian Wilson meets Philip Glass.
- Robert Plant and The Strange Sensation Mighty Rearranger (Sanctuary/Es Paranza) Another step forward - by a band full of ideas.
- TIE: EELS Blinking Lights and Other Revelations (Vagrant) Sleater-Kinney The Woods (Sub Pop) E remembers, S-K rages. Both bring the passion.
Top 10 Movies of 2005
- The Incredibles (Pixar/Disney) Incredibly entertaining movie, demo-quality DVD - and fabulous extras, darling.
- Raging Bull (MGM) The fight film that's never been beat gets the upgraded picture and sound it deserves.
- Laura (20th Century Fox) Killer noir comes restored, with solid commentaries and bio-documentaries.
- Sideways (20th Century Fox) Funny meets profound in a perfectly satisfying blend.
- Ran (The Criterion Collection) King Lear leaps off the stage to spectacular effect.
- Sin City (Dimension) Innovative filmmaking gets a DVD with looks and extras to burn.
- TIE: Hotel Rwanda (MGM) L'Eclisse (The Criterion Collection) A humanist drama and a modernist masterpiece - both profoundly affecting.
- The Aviator (Warner) A great, Oscar-winning mix of Hollywood glamour and disease-battling biography.
- Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (Lucasfilm/20th Century Fox) An epic of myth and technology that makes for thrill-filled home theater.
- King Kong (20th Century Fox) The classic adventure is restored and accompanied by four hours of documentaries.
The Top 5 Games of 2005
- God of War (Sony; PS2)
- Resident Evil 4 (Capcom; Gamecube, PS2)
- Shadow of the Colossus (Sony; PS2)
- Burnout Revenge (EA Games; PS2, Xbox)
- Call of Duty 2 (Activision; Xbox 360)