Toy Story 3
How do you top one of the greatest sequels ever made? Screenwriter Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine) somehow captures lightning in a bottle for the third time by taking our heroes and mixing them up with a new cast of characters that include Ken (Michael Keaton), a thespian hedgehog named Mr. Pricklepants (Timothy Dalton), and the evil pink teddy bear Lotso (Ned Beaty), who sentences the new toys to the toddlers' room.
Every Pixar release has been a demo showpiece, and this one is no exception. The 1080p video encode is perfect, and the DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 soundtrack features reference-quality dynamics, frequency response, and surround envelopment.
- Chapter 1, 00:01:56
- Frequency response, color saturation
- When One-Eyed Bart (Mr. Potato Head) blows up the bridge, feel the explosion rock the room as the evil villain makes his escape.
- At the 00:02:02 mark, the camera cuts to the doomed orphans, showing off their wild multi-colored hairdos.
Death by monkeys
- Chapter 1, 00:04:24
- Frequency response, surround envelopment, detail, color saturation
- As evil Mr. Porkchop (Ham) drops his monkey bomb on our heroes, you can feel the intense bass when it hits the desert floor. Even more impressive, you can hear the sound of screaming monkeys fill the room as they overtake Woody, Buzz, and Jessie attempting to escape the area.
- On the video front, check out the detail in the surrounding canyon and the expanding mushroom cloud of monkeys.
- Chapter 5, 00:15:17
- In this scene, you can see the Pixar animators' impeccable attention to detail. Check out the detail in the bricks and mortar, the brush strokes in the paint job on the shutters and trim, and how the reflection of an exterior tree can be seen in the window pane.
Release Date: November 2, 2010