I'm not sure Sir Arthur Conan Doyle would approve of the modernized Sherlock Holmes, but it turns out he's one hell of an action hero. The DTS-HD MA 5.1 soundtrack features some great demo-worthy scenes, although the dialog is not entirely intelligible in a couple of scenes. The VC-1 encode is just as impressive, with exquisite detail, inky blacks, and well-resolved shadows.
Meet Sherlock Holmes
- Chapter 1, 0:02:07
- Detail, shadow delineation, dynamic range, frequency response
- Sherlock Holmes is in hot pursuit of Lord Blackwell when he comes across a hapless guard. Check out the detail in the guard's clothing with its intricate woven pattern and the amazing shadow detail as Holmes blends in with the dark background.
- Listen to the clarity of the dialog as Holmes describes his plan of attack. When he implements his plan, feel the impact of his fists and listen for the dislocation of the poor guard's knee.
Becket & Sons
- Chapter 19, 01:14:40
- As the chapter opens, relish the view of the 19th-century London street. Notice the intricate patterns in the brick buildings and stone sidewalk, and you can clearly read the store sign off in the distance.
- Chapter 20, 01:20:09
- Surround imaging
- As Watson and Holmes follow up on a lead, Lord Blackwood pays them a visit. Listen to the amazing imagery as his voice projects through the room.
Release Date: March 30, 2010