Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides 3D
3D conversions are all the rage in Hollywood, but thankfully this isn't one of them and it shows from the outset while Jack is loose on the streets of London. Detail is excellent in both foregrounds and backgrounds and separation between objects adds a lot of depth to the image. But as good as the 3D is, it's the DTS-HD MA 7.1 soundtrack that's the star of the show. It features plenty of discrete effects, strong bass response, and virtually unlimited dynamic range.
- Chapter 3, 0:09:09
- 3D depth, detail, color saturation
- As Jack is being escorted into the royal chambers, check out the detail in the intricate painting on the ceiling, the brilliant red in the soldiers clothing, and the virtually endless depth of the hallway.
There be mermaids in these waters
- Chapter 14, 01:03:40
- Discrete effects, dynamic range
- There's a saying that all is calm before the storm and that's certainly the case here. As the conscripted men sit in the rowboats, listen to the eerie soundtrack as the mermaids come to the surface. Once they pick their man, get ready for some serious action.
Through the jungle
- Chapter 16, 01:12:14
- 3D depth, detail, color saturation, surround envelopment
- When Jack leads the ship's crew through the jungle, gaze upon the amazing depth and detail in the image and how it looks as if you can walk right into the screen. Also, listen to the chirps of the insects as they engulf the room.
Release Date: October 18, 2011
3D Effect: 9/10