The story is depressing, but the animation is astounding, some of the best I've seen from any studio not named Pixar. Detail is mind-blowing in both foregrounds or backgrounds, and the multi-layered textures are very lifelike with the VC-1/1080p encode. The DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack nearly equals the video quality with robust frequency response, pinpoint accuracy of discrete effects, and a plethora of demo-worthy scenes.
- Chapter 1, 0:01:52
- Detail, surround envelopment
- From the opening shot, prepare to be impressed by this visually stunning production. Look at the detail in the tightly woven string and the minute spider web in the background
- Listen as the wind blows through the soundstage and the sharp snap as 9's string finally lets go and the resulting crash to the floor.
Awakening the beast
- Chapter 8, 00:25:01
- Detail, frequency response, surround envelopment
- When the mechanical monster absorbs 2's life force, look at the detail in his eye and woven face right before the electric current engulfs his body.
- When the electricity blasts from the beast, listen as it engulfs the room and the foundation-shaking bass rattles the windows.
- Chapter 16, 01:06:59
- As 9 plays possum with the mechanical beast, relish the detail on the attacker's body—the aged and scared metal, its multitude of electronic conductors, and the menace of its singular life-destroying eye.
Release Date: December 29, 2009